There is no doubt that pregnancy and breastfeeding is the most beautiful and expected period for every women. Body goes through lots of physical and hormonal changes that time. You will have increased needs in energy and nutrients, because now you will need to take care of your baby in addition to yourself.
Why is it important to eat healthy?
It is important that mother could get as much nutrients as possible from the food, that is why it is recommended to eat a variety of quality food. As often as you can, avoid processed junk foods. You and your baby will benefit more from fresh berries, fruits,vegetables, legumes. That way you can support your baby’s development and reduce the risk of different diseases and complications for both the mother and child. Consuming too much sweets and soft drinks may lead to gestational diabetes and too much junk food to constipation and lack of needed nutrients, because they are high in calories, but contain no nutritional value. Consuming too much processed foods and sweets may also lead to excess weight. Fresh fruits and vegetables have a couple other benefits in addition to vitamins and minerals as well, they contain fiber that helps to prevent constipation and keep your weight under control.
What does the body need?
Protein, calcium, folate, iron, vitamin C, vitamin D, magnesium and omega 3 fatty acids needs increase during pregnancy. While breastfeeding, it is important to pay attention to protein, vitamins D, A, E, C and B12, also selenium and zinc. On the other hand overconsuming of some vitamins, like vitamin E and A, could be very dangerous for the child and the mother. That is why it is important to consult a doctor before taking supplements.
Are superfoods allowed?
Superfoods are plants, berries and seeds containing very high level of vitamins and minerals. Such food can also be found in our gardens and forests. Local Estonian superfoods are for example black chokeberry, wild garlic, beetroot, raspberries, blackcurrants. Chia seeds, goji berries, maca etc are known from abroad. Many superfoods can be consumed right away after being picked and some when (freeze-)dried and packaged. Packaged superfoods are natural, they retain needed vitamins and minerals and it is so easy to add a spoonful or two to porridge, smoothie, homemade pate or jam.
Which superfoods can we offer?
Be More offers various superfoods, that help to support your body with needed nutrients during pregnancy and while breastfeeding:
- Unhulled hemp seeds – protein source, contain omega 3 ja 6 fatty acids, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, thiamine, folate
- Chia seeds – protein source, contain omega 3 ja 6 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, folate
- Acai powder – protein source, contain calcium, magnesium, iron, vitamin E
- Goji berries – contain selenium, iron, potassium, vitamin C
- Collagen – good protein source
- Raw cacao – contain iron, magnesium, manganese, zinc, potassium, folate, vitamin C
- Be Beautiful superfood mix – good protein source, contain vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, folate, vitamin E, vitamin A
- Be Smart superfood mix – protein source, contain potassium, calcium, iron, manganese
- Be Fit superfood mix – good protein source, contain iron, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc
Contact doctor if needed
But there are still some superfoods that haven’t been studied enough and it is still unknown how they affect pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. It is recommended to avoid those foods during this period. One of such superfoods is chaga. So, as with usual food, it is not reasonable to overconsume superfoods, it is important to maintain common sense. And if you are not sure, please contact your doctor for further information.
Nutritionist Julia Bõstrova
- Eesti toitumis-ja liikumissoovitused, 2015.